Axis English School Programs
Axis English School offers a variety of programs to help students develop their English skills. These courses emphasize different aspects of English language learning. Please let us know which of these topics you would like to study so that we can place you or your child into the right program.
English School for Kids
- ABCs: Students learn to read and write the letters of the alphabet – the building blocks of the English language. Students learning the ABCs should spend time with their parents reviewing the letters at home in order to master the alphabet as soon as possible.
- Phonics: Students learn the sounds that letters make when put together to make English words. Particularly, students learn to differentiate the pronunciation of the vowels (A, E, I, O, U) which change based on their usage. Students learn to read and then spell three and four letter English words. Understanding phonics is essential for beginning to read in English.
- Listening: Students learn to understand spoken English through conversation, oral reading, songs, and other listening activities. Native English-speaking teachers and supplementary teaching materials present students with a variety of spoken English accents so that students learn how to understand natural English rather than simply classroom English.
- Conversation: Students learn conversation skills in any Axis English course since they are working closely with an English teacher. Student choosing to focus on conversation skills may follow specific courses that introduce grammar points and vocabulary in the context of a specific topic. Using topics that interest students motivates shy students and stimulates authentic discussion.
- Academic Studies in English: Children who have studied abroad in English-speaking countries often return to Japan and attend Japanese schools. Many of these students want to maintain their excellent English ability as well. Returnee students may choose to take various academic courses such as History, Science, or Reading following the English curriculum used at Axis International School. In this way, students can continue to study at the same grade level as they were prior to returning to Japan. Sometimes, exceptional English students who have never lived abroad choose to take these international academic courses which can be more fulfilling and challenging than regular children’s English classes.
English School for Adults
Adult students often come to Axis English School to prepare for trips abroad, to build skills for business presentations, or to improve communication with foreign friends. Axis teachers will adapt course content as needed to suit the needs of adult English students.